Saturday 16 May 2015

Poors Allotments: My Challenge to the Council

Those who have read my postings on this blog and on Streetlife will not be surprised to know I was delighted to see the heading on page 7 of last Thursday's Leatherhead Adveriser: "Allotments campaigners win protection for site."
 
But as I read the article, I began to have misgivings. It talked about the campaign to get more protection, but it also later mentioned what would happen if MVDC decided to sell the land. So I thought I'd check out just what protection an Asset of Community Value has. Not as much as one would like: look here.
 
When one recalls how easily MVDC over-ruled the "protection" afforded by an Area of Great Landscape Value at Cherkley, alarm bells begin to ring.
 
In the recent long Streetlife conversation about Sir Paul Beresford and the Green Belt, Cllr Howard Jones wrote: "... I have thought the Poors Allotment scheme was dead in the water from my canvassing in BWL & Copthorne Road last year. It was not brought up when canvassing this year in the same area. I think the Residents also know it's dead in the water."
 
The following day, Popsie posted: "Perhaps if he had been in a recent briefing from MVDC officials regarding development on the allotment site he would have a different opinion. None of us who were at that briefing were left in any doubt that MVDC had not changed their plans to develop on the site but were just biding their time before pursuing their plans to sell the site for £21m."
 
Indeed, if the Poors Allotment scheme is "dead in the water" why is John Weller of the Leatherhead Poors Allotments Society quoted as saying: "... but the council has a few weeks to appeal and I'm sure they will"?
 
Later, in the Streetlife conversation, Cllr Jones posted: "I am stating on a public forum that I will oppose selling the allotments, I supported the ACV application which was decided by The Interim Head of Planning Policy. Which was a strange move if the officer led council was hellbent on selling them in conjunction with Merton College to make way for a housing development. In terms of Greenbelt it would come close to meaning that the only break between Lower Ashtead & North Leatherhead would be the M25."
 
I applaud his stating on a public forum that he will oppose selling the allotments. I agree also (and, indeed, have stated before) that developing the Green Belt plot currently owned by Merton College, Oxford, would mean effectively that the only break between Lower Ashtead and North Leatherhead would be the M25. The purpose of the Green Belt is to prevent urban spread and keep communities separate.
 
However, one remembers that in November last year, MVDC gave permission for a developer to build 76 private dwellings in the Green Belt (I know this was to help fund QEF's renovation project and I do not begrudge them the money; but at the time I expressed my opinion that it is a pity a charity has to raise funds in this way). What caused me concern is that one councillor was reported as saying this was a scrappy piece of Green Belt next to the motorway which could be put to better use. So this council has already set a precedent for allowing Green Belt next to a motorway to be developed for housing.
 
I challenge our new Conservative council, therefore, to say unequivocally that MVDC:
  • will not appeal against Poors allotments being designated an Asset of Community Value;
  • will not allow the Green Belt, currently owned by Merton College, next to the M25 to be developed for housing.

1 comment:

  1. Great news on the first challenge. MVDC has announced via Twitter that it will not be appealing Poors Allotments' ACV designation.

    How about the second challenge?

    ReplyDelete